This year, I wanted to expand on that idea a little. While the first recipe was great, I wanted to find a way to make these fully from scratch. No boxed cake mix in this house anymore. So I did some digging and found a great make-ahead cake mix that I could use just like the boxed stuff. I made the mix several days ago and just had it sitting on my counter in a bag. When I was ready to rock, all I had to do was puree the spinach with the applesauce, and then mix it all together. Super easy. And a great way to make dessert just a little bit healthier.
- 2 1/2 cups all purpose flour
- 1 1/2 cups sugar
- 1/2 cup powdered buttermilk (or nonfat dried milk)
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 4 cups baby spinach
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Combine all the dry ingredients in a large bowl.
- Puree the applesauce and spinach in a blender. You may need to add the spinach in batches.
- Using a hand mixer, blend the spinach mixture and vanilla into the flour mixture for 2 minutes. Divide evenly into 18 cupcake liners (in a cupcake pan, of course).
- Bake for 18-20 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Cool completely.
Need another opinion? The little dude loved them. He’s a bit of a ham.