Yesterday I began a 28-day sugar detox. My biggest concern was breakfast since I usually eat oatmeal, cereal, or muffins. Dairy, sugar, and gluten are no-nos on this detox so those ideas were out. Hence, this sweet potato hash was born.
Day One went very well. Breakfast was sweet potato hash and eggs. It was delicious! Then I had a mid-morning banana, and a late-morning apple with cashew butter. Lunch was salad greens with turkey ham and egg. I snacked on some nuts and raisins and then had almond-crusted chicken with broccoli for dinner. I was never hungry and I didn’t have a drop of sugar, dairy or gluten all day!
So, this hash. So good, y’all. My husband has been doing a Paleo diet for a month or so now but that’s just not the kind of thing I’d do well on. Especially considering I don’t eat red meat or pork. But the good thing about it is that he’s pretty much off sugar (though he’s allowed honey and I’m not) and gluten already so it’s an easier transition for me. He makes a breakfast casserole with sweet potatoes and had some leftover shredded potatoes last week so I took advantage of the opportunity to test it out.
- 1/2 cup grated sweet potato
- 1/4 onion, diced
- 1/4 cup chopped kale
- 2 eggs
- 2 Tbsp olive oil
- salt and pepper, to taste
- 1 sausage patty, cooked
- 1 egg, cooked over-medium
- Heat olive oil in a medium or large pan over medium heat. Add onion and cook 2-3 minutes.
- Add sweet potato to onion and cook for 10-15 minutes, stirring occassionally, until sweet potato is soft.
- Add kale and cook for an addition 3 minutes.
- Season with salt and pepper.
- Serve with sausage and egg.
Another option I did for work was to crack 2 eggs in a container that had my sweet potato hash in it. Then, when I got to work, I stirred it all together and microwaved for 2 minutes, stirring every 20 seconds. That was delicious too!