The other day I was watching the Cooking Channel show, Extra Virgin. It stars Debi Mazar and her Italian husband, Gabriele. This past week they made this pasta dish that sounded really simple, but really tasty. It had bacon, corn and tomatoes tossed with pasta.
Our CSA this week had beautiful tomatoes and some ears of corn, so I was already mostly there. I couldn’t find the actual recipe online, so I improvised, making it how I remembered it, and then adding shrimp to add protein…and yumminess. And I had to make my usual adjustments: whole wheat pasta and turkey bacon instead of the regular stuff.
This one was a definite hit. Chris and I both LOVED it though, admittedly, the little dude wasn’t a fan. I inhaled the leftovers for lunch today.
- 6 slices turkey bacon, cooked and chopped
- 3/4 lb shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 2 medium tomatoes, chopped
- 1/2 cup corn
- 1/2 box whole wheat pasta shells (or other small pasta)
- 2 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 tsp minced garlic
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Cook pasta according to package directions. Set aside.
- In a large saucepan, heat olive oil over medium-high heat. Cook shrimp until just pink, and then remove to a bowl.
- Add tomatoes and garlic to the same large saucepan (that should still have the shrimp juices) and cook for 3-5 minutes, until tomatoes start to break down. Add corn and pasta and cook until heated through.