I’ve been sharing a lot of dessert recipes lately, and for good reason. We’re chocoholics. The first step is admitting you have a problem, right? We have dessert almost every night. Some nights I’ll have fruit, but more often than not, it’s a little something chocolatey.
A few weeks ago when I was at Bloggy Boot Camp, I have my first experience with bread pudding. I know, I’m sheltered, what can I say. But this bread pudding was special because it was made with King’s Hawaiian bread. Have you ever had King’s Hawaiian? It’s amazing. It’s soft and slightly sweet, and makes a great freaking dessert.
The bread pudding at BBC was a white chocolate bread pudding with a caramel sauce, and it was fantastic. But I wanted something chocolate so I went to the King’s Hawaiian site and found their chocolate bread pudding recipe. Oh yeah baby.
This recipe was so easy. The hardest part was waiting for it to finish cooking. I made it pretty true to the original recipe, but I think it would be great with some chopped pecans mixed in after you’re done soaking the bread, or even a peanut butter sauce drizzled on top. The possibilities are endless.
Chocolate Bread Pudding with King’s Hawaiian Bread
- 2 1/2 cups whole milk
- 1 1/2 cups semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 4 eggs
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1/8 tsp salt
- 6 cups lightly packed King’s Hawaiian Sweet Bread
- Heat milk in a medium saucepan over medium heat until small bubbles form around the edge.
- Remove from heat and stir in chocolate chips. Mix until melted, and allow mixture to cool slightly.
- Whisk together eggs, sugar, vanilla, and salt.
- Fold one cup chocolate mixture into egg mixture and combine thoroughly. Add the rest of the chocolate mixture to the egg mixture. Pour over bread cubes and mix until all the bread is coated.
- Cover with plastic wrap and let stand at room temperature for 30 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees.
- Butter an 8×8 casserole dish and pour bread mixture into pan.
- Bake for 40-45 minutes or until a knife inserted in the center comes out clean.
This is one of my favorite recipes to share with friends and family. What is your favorite dish to share with the family? Comment below and you’ll be entered to win a $200 Grocery gift card King’s Hawaiian.