Growing up, tuna salad was a can of tuna mixed with mayo. That’s it. Maybe if my mom was feeling crazy, she’d put a little grated onion or diced celery in there, but that was rare. So when my husband made tuna salad for me for the first time, I was AGHAST at how involved it was. Carrots, celery, eggs, and…RELISH??? I’d never even tasted relish before. But then I tried it, and I was hooked. He makes a mean tuna salad.
I’ve tweaked his recipe slightly over the years to make it a little more healthful, but it’s still just as delicious as always. Please forgive the slightly blurry photo.
Here’s how I make it.
Protein-Packed Very Veggie Tuna Salad
- 1/4 cup diced carrots
- 1/4 cup diced celery
- 2 5-oz cans solid white tuna in water, drained and flaked
- 2 Tbsp mayonnaise
- 1/4 cup fat-free plain Greek yogurt
- 1/4 cup sweet relish
- 1 hard-boiled egg + 1 hard-boiled egg white (2 eggs; discard one of the yolks)
- salt and pepper, to taste
- Combine everything into a large bowl and mix well.
So complicated, right? Enjoy!