I use recipes for almost everything I make. I’m a slave to a written list of ingredients and directions and get nervous about straying too far from what the recipe tells me. Of course there are some things I just make on the fly (chili and meatloaf come to mind…I never make them the same way twice) but for the most part I have a printed out recipe that I follow.
Not this time! I bought some wild-caught salmon on clearance a month or so ago and had it sitting in the freezer. I defrosted it the other day and was trying to figure out how I wanted to make it. It’s not a cheap piece of salmon so I wanted something great. I remembered seeing someone pinned a recipe for Garlic Dill Salmon and I decided that’s what I wanted to do.
Instead of hopping on to Pinterest to find that recipe, I just played it by ear. I sprinkled the salmon with salt and dried dill, and then spread some minced garlic on top (the stuff from a jar). I was nervous about how it would taste since I’d never had wild salmon (as opposed to farm-raised) before. I wasn’t sure if it would be strong tasting, or just different. My fears were unfounded. The salmon was DELICIOUS. It has flavor, but wasn’t fishy like salmon can sometimes be. It was really wonderful and I’m so happy I kept the flavors simple and didn’t hide it under a sticky sweet sauce like I was tempted to do. I’m a wild-caught convert.
I don’t have exact measurements, so the below is an approximation. Season it the way you’d like it. A little less dill, more garlic, etc.
Garlic Dill Salmon
- 1 lb wild-caught salmon, cut into 4 fillets
- 1 Tbsp dried dill
- 1 tsp salt
- 2 Tbsp bottled minced garlic
- cooking spray
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees. Spray a baking pan with nonstick spray.
- Sprinkle salt and dill over salmon fillets, and spoon minced garlic over each piece, spreading it with the back of a spoon.
- Place salmon in baking pan skin side down and bake for 10-12 minutes, or until salmon is cooked the way you like it. I prefer mine more well-done so you may need to bake for less time.
You can find this recipe and many more at these parties.