Roni is a bit of genius. She takes normal pantry items and combines them in a way that makes you want to slap your forehead and yell, “Why didn’t I think of that??!!”
Like her, I always forget about tuna. It sits in the recesses of my pantry until I come across a recipe like this, or I’m desperately digging in there to find something to make for lunch on the weekend. Or a quick dinner because I forgot to defrost the chicken. Because that happens more than I care to admit.
Usually I just mix my tuna with some hard-boiled egg, maybe some chopped veggies (carrots, celery, onion, even a red pepper), mayo/yogurt combo, and a bit of seasoning (have you ever tried a dash of curry powder in your tuna salad? It’s delish!). I make a good tuna salad, but something you want something warm and hearty. That’s where these burgers come in.
This recipe packs some serious flavor. The combination of the cheese and salsa takes it over the top and it’s a great, quick weeknight recipe.
Here’s how I made it.
Cheesy Salsa Tuna Burgers
Adapted from Green Lite Bites
- Dump all ingredients in a bowl.
- Wash your hands well.
- Mix all ingredients with your hands. It’s really the only way to combine it well.
- Heat a nonstick skillet over medium-high heat and spray with nonstick spray.
- Form mixture into 2 or 3 patties, depending on the size of your bun. I use sandwich thins so I made them fairly flat but wide, to fit the bun.
- Place patties in skillet and cook about 3 minutes on each side, until lightly browned and warm throughout.
(Yes, that is a real bite that I took. I know it’s huge. Don’t judge me.)
Like this post? How about a Stumble?